Relaxation massage means different things to different people. When requesting a relaxation massage at Deep Roots, it will be all aboutdeactivating the SNS (sympathetic nervous system - fight or flight) and activating the PNS (parasympathetic nervous system - rest and digest) which is a state of rest, digest and recovery. The body is designed to spend the majority of its time in the PNS and ideally it only uses the SNS for true life-threatening emergencies; however, this is not the case in the modern world since the body interprets all stress (mental and physical) as a reason to activate the SNS. Worrying about work or school deadlines, stressing over rush hour traffic, and general anxiety keeps our bodies in a sympathetic state which works against the body's ability to heal itself.
Optimal recovery from exercise, injuries, and from stress in general, requires techniques to reduce the dominance of the sympathetic nervous system from physical and mental/emotional stressors and activation of the PNS. Massage, MPS therapy, yoga, mediation and deep breathing all are proven ways to help bring your body back into a healing state.
The less time we spend in the sympathetic response mode, the better. Although it makes us alert and better able to respond to the challenges ahead, it takes a huge toll on our bodies and can lead to adrenal fatigue. Anything we can do to keep ourselves in the “rest and digest” mode as much as possible is worth the effort, since our long-term health may depend on it.
When you experience relaxation massage, you can expect a treatment that involves:
- Long smooth gliding strokes that are rhythmic and flowing
- Light to moderate pressure that is relaxing and not painful
- A treatment that is designed to soothe and relax you, not to relieve chronic pain or other underlying ailments
- May involve soothing music, heating pads, and occasionally the use of essential oils to enhance both the environment and the effects of the massage
- Use of MPS therapy at the beginning of the treatment to help treat stress and anxiety. With the use of MPS Standard Protocol helping to lower cortisol levels (the major stress hormone) and MPS applied to stress/anxiety relief acupuncture points so you will be able to experience a deeper level of relaxation.